Moroccos Gendarmerie Dismantles International Illegal Migration Ring

Rabat – Moroccan royal gendarmerie has dismantled a five-people organized criminal group involved in illegal emigration to Europe through Libya, and in other serious crimes, including kidnapping and money laundering.The authorities were after these gang since September 2017, following the arrest of two masterminds of illegal emigration in Beni Mellal, a city located in center Morocco. The two criminals were apprehended for their involvement in a large network that operates at both the national and international levels.Investigations conducted under the supervision of Beni Mellal’s public prosecutor led to the arrest of five individuals, one of whom acted as an intermediary between the main organizers and the potential illegal immigrants. The enquiry also revealed the gang’s involvement in a network of illicit financial transactions that collected funds from candidates and transferred them to Libya  to be then smuggled to Italy. Maghreb Arab Press (MAP), which reported the news said that the total number of financial transactions since 2015 amounts to 3,000 operations.The operation led to the arrest of five people involved in criminal acts, including a foreigner. The royal gendarmerie also seized a sum of money estimated at MAD 2.5 million.The criminals were also taking sums of money from the families of migrants stranded by force in Libya with a promise to ease their passage to Europe.The public prosecutor office ordered the detention of all the arrested criminals, and the seizure of money as well as the opening of anti-money laundering procedures.Illegal immigration has resulted in many issues in the recent years. People wishing to reach Europe, including Moroccans trust these gangs, who in turn take huge sums of money on promise to make them reach the old continent. However, most of the migrants find themselves either stranded in Libya’s detention centers, dead in the Mediterranean or trafficked by human trafficking gangs.A series of videos circulating on social media feature how migrants stranded in Libya struggle. Many Moroccans shared their videos on social media, calling for help from Moroccan authorities to bring them back home. For those migrants the Eldorado dream has turned into a nightmare, as many were imposed to slavery.Earlier in December, Morocco succeeded in repatriating 235 Moroccan migrants after an operation, which took place in August helped bring home 200 Moroccan citizens.About 265 Moroccan migrants currently detained in Libya are going to be taken back home soon, announced on December 15 the Tripoli branch of the Libyan Agency to prevent Illegal Immigration. read more

Epilepsy drug for children recalled over contamination risk

first_imgThere is no evidence of any actual cross-contamination having occurred with the Buccolam products, and the potential contaminant has not been detected in any batch of Buccolam during product testing to date. Nevertheless, these batches of Buccolam are being recalled to pharmacy level as a precautionary measure.The specific products being recalled are:Buccolam 2.5mg Oromucosal SolutionBuccolam 5mg Oromucosal SolutionBuccolam 7.5mg Oromucosal SolutionBuccolam 10mg Oromucosal Solution    THE IRISH HEALTH Products Regulatory Authority (HPRA) has today confirmed that an epilepsy drug is being recalled “as a precautionary measure”.The company ViroPharma SPRL is recalling several specific batches of Buccolam Oromucosal Solution, which is used to treat convulsive seizures in children and adolescents.There was an issue identified in relation to manufacturing controls at one site and there was a “theoretical risk of cross-contamination”, the HPRA said in a statement today. As a precautionary measure, pharmacists are being advised to quarantine any units of the Buccolam batches being recalled and to return them to their wholesaler. Replacement batches – manufactured at a different site – will be provided.“No safety or quality issues have been identified in any of the batches released onto the market,” commented Kevin O’Donnell, Market Compliance Manager at the HPRA. “The recall only applies to packs at pharmacy level, and the risk presented by this issue is considered to be very low. Patients do not have to return packs to their pharmacy and can continue taking their medicine.”Read: Emergency allergic reaction pens found to be defective>Read: Batches of Tixylix recalled due to risk of plastic contamination>last_img read more