Rain likely for Friday

first_imgThe National Weather Services reports that rain is likely for Friday Today…Rain likely. Highs in the mid 50s. South winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 60 percent.Tonight…Mostly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of rain. Breezy. Lows in the mid 40s. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph in the evening increasing to 15 to 25 mph after midnight.Saturday…Clearing and breezy. Highs in the upper 50s. North winds 10 to 20 mph. Saturday Night…Mostly clear. Lows in the lower 40s. North winds 5 to 10 mph.Sunday…Sunny. Highs in the lower 60s. East winds 5 to 10 mph.Sunday Night…Becoming mostly cloudy. A 40 percent chance of rain. Lows in the upper 40s.Monday…Rain likely. Breezy. Highs in the mid 50s. Chance of rain 60 percent.center_img Monday Night…Mostly cloudy. Lows in the mid 40s.Tuesday And Tuesday Night…Mostly clear. Highs in the mid 50s. Lows around 40.Wednesday And Wednesday Night…Mostly clear. Highs in the lower 60s. Lows in the upper 40s.Thursday…Mostly sunny. Highs in the lower 60s.last_img read more

The Third Metric for Success

first_imgThe Huffington Post: I just returned from NYC from an invitation only conference on the third metric for success: beyond money and power, hosted by Arianna Huffington. I’m not one for mindless flattery, so it is with great sincerity that I say that Arianna is a force to be reckoned with. She’s extremely bright and incredibly effective so perhaps it’s no surprise that the event was so successful. For me, however, the event cut both ways.It’s been forever since I attended a conference without being a speaker. This was even more unusual since the event was really a conference on the importance of being mindful. Not being acknowledged by speaker after speaker was a blow to my ego. At times I felt like saying, maybe shouting, “yes, yes, I couldn’t agree more since I’ve been studying this since the 1970’s and making all the recommendations that were being presented as new.”Read the whole story: The Huffington Post More of our Members in the Media >last_img read more

Reduced activity of a brain protein linked to post-traumatic stress disorder

first_imgLinkedIn Email Share on Twitter Share Pinterestcenter_img Share on Facebook People with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) have reduced activity of the protein serum and glucocorticoid regulated kinase 1 (SGK1) in their prefrontal cortices, and experimentally reducing the protein’s activity in rats leads to PTSD-like behavior, according to a new study in PLOS Biology.The study by Pawel Licznerski, Ronald Duman and colleagues of the Department of Psychiatry at Yale University publishing in the Open Access journal PLOS Biology on Oct. 27th, suggests that augmenting activity of SGK1 may be therapeutic in PTSD.Performing a whole-genome expression screen on the post-mortem brains of six subjects with PTSD, the authors found that expression of SGK1 was reduced in the prefrontal cortex by over 80% compared to controls. The subjects studied were part of a PTSD brain bank, the first of its kind, established by the authors. To understand the cellular mechanisms at work, the authors turned to rats, and showed that those rats with lower SGK1 activity had higher levels of learned helplessness in response to a shock (a behavior thought to mimic one aspect of PTSD). Experimentally reducing SGK1 activity in rats induced learned helplessness, while overexpressing the protein reduced it. Reducing SGK1 activity also induced several other PTSD-like behaviors, and caused cellular changes in prefrontal cortical neurons consistent with an augmented fear response.Together, these results indicate that a reduction in SGK1 activity likely contributes to PTSD. Larger postmortem studies will be needed to confirm these findings, but if they are borne out, SGK1 or other proteins with which it is linked may provide new targets for medications to reverse the effects of PTSD, which, according to the Veterans Administration, affects over 5% of the United States population, and over 10% of veterans.last_img read more

Mipim 2017: from princes to panthers to properties

first_imgBrexit. Sounds like a brand of Fifties’ dog biscuits. “Winalot Brexit: for healthy teeth and gums.” On my table, despite the weird name and nine months since the vote, Brexit still provokes fierce rows. Chatham House rule. So no names, but here are the ideas.“Look, the Leave majority was mostly over 65s. So by the time we actually leave and have a trade deal, ordinary mortality rates mean the UK will be majority Remain!” “That’s offensive – and what about the Left Behinds?” “Isn’t it pointless? Like divorcing your partner and then negotiating for five years to move back in – on slightly worse terms?”“The EU is a federal project…best get out now on our own terms, and go global.” “One of my Middle Eastern clients said, Yemen and Syria – I would do anything for a problem like Brexit!” I have another large glass of rosé and wonder what we all talked about before Brexit dropped into our baskets. What is true is that the general economy has so far brushed Brexit aside, but real estate has felt it. How much is not certain, but the amount of UK real estate bought and sold last year was down 25% – and some of that was referendum driven.Some brilliant points were made about London’s power and resilience. London has 49% of the global derivatives market, 20% of the cross border lending market and 41% of the World’s Forex market. More than New York and Tokyo combined. I knew London was big, but wow! Riding out BrexitIt must mean London will ride Brexit. Look, it rode the Blitz and even survived not existing for a few hundred years after the Romans left. It can live without the European Union. Frankfurt and Paris cannot suddenly create this sort of infrastructure and take London’s finance crown. But, we shouldn’t be complacent. New York and Tokyo could. The government needs to work hard to get London’s (and the UK’s) financial services industry strong passporting rights and free market access. One speaker says financial services has been declining as a percentage of London jobs and office occupation since the ’90s. TMT companies are now London’s biggest space takers, and banks are as likely to relocate to Birmingham as Berlin. “Don’t worry that the banks will go, just be thankful they’ve already gone!” This contrarian argument: that London is no longer a city of bankers, but a city of chai-latte sipping creatives, is partly true. But we would still look pretty silly if we lost the massive part of its market that still is traditional financial services. DExEU take note. There is one area where London can feel Berlin’s post-Brexit breath on its neck. Fintech is more mobile than old financial services. And Berlin is a rising city. Berlin is cool and cheaper than London. So we should wake up and put together a package of post-Brexit measures to help Fintech companies choose Kings Cross, not Kreuzberg.Source: Shutterstock/Zoltan GaborBrexit is about to begin for real. The Bill has passed and Mrs May’s pen is poised over her Article 50 letter. The ‘Phoney War’ is ending. Businesses need to start preparing and planning now: on trade, people, transition and timing. The two-year Brexit negotiation period will burn-by very quickly. The French and German elections, and the final ratification process, are all expected to shorten the time for substantive talks. This journey is going to be a surprisingly short one. By mid-2019, the UK will almost certainly be out of the EU. But an Eversheds Sutherland survey this week showed that 4/5ths of UK businesses have no plan for Brexit and are not planning to produce one. So as the Brexit bus moves off, much of UK commerce is asleep on the back seat. They need to wake up and begin informed Brexit planning. Whether we like it or not the Brexit bus is leaving. We are all on it together. We must all work hard to make a success of the journey and of the global stop that follows. Because future generations won’t judge us by the result of the referendum, but by what we did with it.Bruce Dear, head of London real estate, Eversheds Sutherland.last_img read more