U.S. says airstrike in Somalia killed senior al-Shabaab leader

first_imgAl-Shabaab leader wanted by US dies in Somalia Somalia National Army claims al-Shabaab leader dead The AFRICOM airstrike was conducted in coordination with the UN-backed Government of National Accord (GNA). /GettyAn airstrike conducted on April 2 by U.S. troops in Somalia is reported to have killed a senior al-Shabaab leader.The U.S. Africom in a statement on Tuesday reported that the airstrike killed Yusuf Jiis who was a key figure in the terror group’s operations across East Africa. Two other militants were also killed in the attack.“This individual was a key leader in the al-Shabaab organization,” said U.S. Army Gen. Stephen Townsend, commander, U.S. Africa Command. “He was violent, ruthless, and responsible for the loss of many innocent lives. His removal makes Somalia and neighboring countries safer.”Al-Shabaab has waged an extremist war in Somalia for over a decade, killing tens of thousands and displacing millions others.U.S. forces, African Union troops and other forces are deployed in the Horn of African country with the aim of crushing the threat of terrorism.The forces have made gains and forced the militants out of major towns, though they still manage to stage attacks especially using suicide bombers.While the U.S. initially engaged the militants minimally, President Donald Trump granted broader authority to carry out strikes after coming into power.“Putting pressure on this network helps contain their ambition and desire to cause harm and destruction,” said U.S. Army Maj. Gen. William Gayler, director of operations, U.S. Africa Command.Relatedcenter_img US airstrike in Somalia kills 9 al-Shabaab extremistslast_img read more

Governor Opposes Confirmation Of Brett Kavanaugh

first_img“This is not a body of law he is often exposed to,” Murkowski told reporters last week, after Kavanaugh testified at his Senate confirmation hearing. FacebookTwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享Governor Bill Walker released a statement on Thursday opposing the nomination of Brett Kavanaugh for a seat on the U.S. Supreme Court. Walker spoke with U.S. Senator Lisa Murkowski about Kavanaugh on Tuesday. His spokesman didn’t elaborate on what was said. In a joint statement released by Walker and Lt. Gov. Byron Mallott: “we believe a thorough review of past allegations against Mr. Kavanaugh is needed before a confirmation vote takes place. Violence against women in Alaska is an epidemic. We do not condone placing someone into one of our nation’s highest positions of power while so many key questions remain unanswered.” Murkowski hasn’t indicated how she might vote on Kavanaugh’s nomination. But the Alaska senator appeared to downplay questions about his views regarding tribal law earlier this month.last_img read more

Kenaitze Hosted Their Annual Suicide Prevention Walk

first_imgFacebookTwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享“You Matter” was the theme on Saturday morning for the annual Kenaitze Indian Tribe “You Matter. L;ve” Suicide Awareness and Prevention Walk. This was the third annual suicide awareness walk hosted by the Kenaitze Indian Tribe. The event included a memorial table, an honor bracelet project, speakers, information and resources, and giveaways. The first 200 participants received a free T-shirt with the words “You Matter” in purple on the back. Community members gathered in the lobby of the Dena’ina Wellness Center in Old Town Kenai.  Kenaitze hosts this event each year to allow the whole community to come together to support those who may be experiencing suicidal thoughts or depression, and those who have experienced loss due to suicide.center_img Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255 if you or a loved one are struggling with suicidal thoughts. Alaska struggles with the highest rate of suicide in the country. The best way to help a loved one is to offer support and an empathetic ear. Your support could save a life.last_img read more

Pause kon, nedle pat duel disappointed. Plze at home in…

first_imgIf not, the company will complicate its potential prospects for the league of championships right on the water line. Sure, we’re just under arrest, how many times have Slavia lost a lot? And what about the revived Sparta? Victoria needs to put in.Only after points desperately her and her opponent. Mlad Boleslav lost all two previous leagues, and in the competition he collected a threatening seven gl.Let’s not look at this. We know that whenever a league match is important to be humble. We always have to go to the maximum. No, how many are rivals in the table. We concentrate on our own things, refusing to play coach Adrian Gua mon underestimated the opponent.Zpadoei had two weeks to get back to mental well-being. The last time they scored three goals in Liberec and they fired.It was not Victoria, who in the spring of the season played such a dominant, confident.Against Mlad Boleslav, however, a football player has been crying lately. This year they met twice, in both cases they clearly increased – first 4: 2 in the cup, then 7: 1 in the fold of the base after the restart of the Fortuna League.The cadets with their middle rivals have spicy nurses for Pavel Bucha, the young middle age belonged to the Mladá Boleslav cadre for three years now and he has achieved a stable position in the Pilsen base unit.There is always a lot of darkness in a nice way. I spent some time there, I’m also specially motivated. I’m glad to see him again with the boys and play against them, hls Bucha, who was waking up from a representative meeting in twenty-one years.They used this pause caused by international duels in the Trunc orchards to forget a bit about the unpublished previous passes and to concentrate fully on the upcoming wolf. Opt.It was very important for us to get out of the two matches, which did not succeed in the results or the games. We took them apart, but we have to look ahead. It is important how we respond to such a new situation for us, notes Gua.The good first thing for the club is that there should be a number of fans, not so far. Doosan Arena should reach even more than six thousand fans. The duel of the 3rd round starts on Sunday at 7 pm.last_img read more

Ifeanyi Chiejine: NFF ‘terribly saddened’ About Death of former Super Falcon

first_imgThe Nigeria Football Federation has said it is ‘terribly saddened’ at the news of the death on Wednesday, 21st August of former Super Falcons’ attacking midfielder Ifeanyichukwu Chiejine.Reports on Thursday morning said the effervescent and skilful attacking midfielder passed on in Lagos after a brief illness.General Secretary of the Nigeria Football Federation, Dr Mohammed Sanusi, expressed deep shock after being informed about the passing of the former player.“This is a huge shock. We had no idea that she was sick. Ifeanyi was one of the most naturally gifted players to have featured for the Super Falcons. Her death at such a young age is a big blow.“She gave one hundred per cent of her ability and capacity each time she turned out for the country. We will always remember her as a bundle of skill and energy, and as a patriotic individual who wore the green-white-green with a smile every time.”The 36 –year old captained the first set of the Falconets that featured at the inaugural edition of the FIFA U19 Women’s World Cup in Canada in 2002. The competition would be renamed FIFA U20 Women’s World Cup six years later.Ifeanyichukwu Stephanie Chiejine featured for the Super Falcons at three FIFA World Cup finals (USA 1999, USA 2003 and China 2007); the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games; four Women Africa Cup of Nations finals (South Africa 2000, Nigeria 2002, Nigeria 2006 and Equatorial Guinea 2008) and; at the women’s football tournament of the 9th All-Africa Games in Algiers in 2007. RelatedBreaking: Former Super Falcons Forward Ifeanyi Chiejine Is DeadAugust 22, 2019In “National Team”Falcons Will Tame Tough Indomitable Lionesses, say Falcons’ Captains (Audio)November 26, 2018In “AWCON”Oshoala Missed Out On France Friendly Due To Club Issues – OfficialMarch 31, 2018In “National Team”last_img read more

UCL: Liverpool, Chelsea Lose Opening Matches As Barcelona Hold Off Dortmund

first_imgDries Mertens’ penalty and a late Fernando Llorente goal condemned Liverpool to defeat in their Group E Champions League opener against Napoli.Belgian forward Mertens scored from the penalty spot after Liverpool defender Andy Robertson was judged to have fouled Jose Callejon.Former Tottenham forward Llorente then capitalised on a mistake from Virgil van Dijk in stoppage-time to roll the ball past Liverpool keeper Adrian.Jurgen Klopp’s side are the first winners of the competition to lose the opening game of the following campaign since AC Milan in 1994.Goalkeeper Adrian had earlier made two keys saves for Liverpool, who initially struggled to impose themselves in the intimidating atmosphere of the San Paolo Stadium.Whereas, in London, Chelsea’s return to the Champions League also ended in disappointment as Ross Barkley missed a late penalty that handed ensured Valencia claimed victory at Stamford Bridge.Frank Lampard’s first game as a manager in the tournament he won as a player with Chelsea in 2012 turned into a night of frustration as Valencia took advantage of slack marking at a free-kick for Rodrigo to score the winner on 74 minutes.Chelsea, who lost in-form youngster Mason Mount to injury early on, had the chance to rescue a point when referee Cuneyt Cakir awarded a penalty for handball after consulting VAR when Daniel Wass blocked Fikayo Tomori’s header.Barkley wanted to take the spot-kick instead of the Blues’ regular taker Jorginho, who give the substitute his blessing by shaking his hand, but Willian continued to argue his own case before allowing Barkley to take it.It was a tight and tense encounter with chances at a premium and a tricky Group H, which also includes last year’s semi-finalists Ajax and Lille, has got even tougher for Chelsea after starting their campaign with a damaging home loss.At the Signal Iduna Park, Marc-Andre ter Stegen saved Marco Reus’ penalty as Barcelona held Borussia Dortmund to a goalless draw in their Champions League opener.The Germany international also denied Reus with a smart double save as Dortmund dominated the second half.Julian Brandt did beat Ter Stegen late on, only for his effort to hit the bar. A goal that would have handed the home side a little advantage before heading to Camp Nou, and a chance to top Group F with three points.Barcelona gave a Champions League debut to 16-year-old Ansu Fati but created little, despite Lionel Messi’s first appearance of the season off the bench.In other fixtures of the night, Inter Milan denied Slania Prague a first Champions League win with a Nicolo Barella stoppage-time equaliser cancelling Peter Olayinka’s goal, the first Nigerian to score on his Champions League debut since Yakubu Aiyegbeni’s hat-trick for Maccabi Haifa against Olympiakos in September 2002.RB Salzburg showed no mercy to KRC Genk with a 6-2 victory over the Belgian side, with Erling Håland netting a hattrick in the first half alone to become the third-youngest player to score a hattrick in a Champions League match.LOSC Lille’s new signing Victor Osimhen was unable to find the back of the net against 2018/19 finalists Ajax, who got three goals against the French side at the Joan Cruff Arena.RB Leipzig had the last laugh in Lisbon with Benfica managing to reply a two-goal deficit from the visitors.Matchday one continues tomorrow with high profile matches between Paris Saint-Germain and Real Madrid, while Atletico Madrid will welcome Juventus.Other fixtures include;Club Brugge vs. Galatasaray, Olympiacos vs Tottenham, Bayern Leverkusen vs Lokomitiv Moscow, Bayern Munich vs Crvena zvezda (Red Star Belgrade), Shakhtar Donetsk vs Manchester City, and Dinamo Zagreb vs Atalanta.Relatedlast_img read more

Report: Angelina Jolie says she’ll “never” marry again after feeling “pressured” to wed Brad Pitt

first_imgPhoto by Alberto E. Rodriguez/Getty Images for Disney(LOS ANGELES) — Angelina Jolie reportedly says she’ll “never get married again,” following her divorce to her third husband, Brad Pitt.A “source” tells Us Weekly that the Oscar-winning Maleficent series star, “felt that Brad pressured her” to walk down the aisle.  The former A-List couple wed in France in 2014, after spending a decade together. They split in 2016. The pair reached a custody agreement in November of last year; they share custody of Maddox, 18, Pax, 15, Zahara, 14, Shiloh, 13, and twins Knox and Vivienne, 11. They formerly divorced in April of 2019.  Jolie was briefly married to Elementary actor Jonny Lee Miller in 1996; they split a year later and divorced in 1999. In 2002, she got hitched to Oscar winner Billy Bob Thornton, but they divorced in 2002.Copyright © 2019, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

State Department takes sudden hard line on Saudis over Qatar

first_imgiStock/Thinkstock(WASHINGTON) — It was just a week and a half ago that President Donald Trump contradicted his own secretary of state while standing in front of him in the Rose Garden, blasting Qatar for sponsoring terrorism and seeming to take credit for the Saudi-led blockade of the small Arab country. Just hours earlier, Secretary Rex Tillerson had called for restraint and an easing of the blockade.On Tuesday, there was more whiplash.State Department spokesperson Heather Nauert slammed Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and others for the blockade, questioning its necessity and expressing doubt about the countries’ claims.“Now that it’s been more than two weeks since the embargo started, we are mystified that the Gulf states have not released to the public, nor to the Qataris, the details about the claims that they are making toward Qatar,” said Nauert.“The more that time goes by, the more doubt is raised about the actions taken by Saudi Arabia and the UAE. At this point, we are left with one simple question: Were the actions really about their concerns about Qatar’s alleged support for terrorism, or were they about the long-simmering grievances between and among the GCC countries?” she asked, referring to the Gulf Cooperation Council’s six member nations.The strong statement stood in sharp contrast to Trump, who seemed to say he agreed to the blockade and made the same charges against Qatar that Nauert on Tuesday called “alleged.”“Qatar, unfortunately, has historically been a funder of terrorism at a very high level,” Trump said on June 9, adding that Saudi Arabia and others “came together and spoke to me about confronting Qatar over its behavior. So we had a decision to make. … I decided, along with Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, our great generals and military people, the time had come to call on Qatar to end its funding.”When pressed on that discrepancy, Nauert pushed back, saying, “Our position has not changed on that.”“The secretary likes results, and we believe these [disputes] are because of long, long-brewing tensions among the various parties, and so we want them to resolve it,” she added. “We’ve said to the parties involved, ‘Let’s finish this. Let’s get this going.’”The new tune — and such a public shaming for traditional allies — may be meant to put stronger pressure on the Saudis and Emiratis to end the blockade. But for those in the region and allies watching around the world, it may also make for another confusing, if not inconsistent, moment of Trump foreign policy.Saudi Arabia, the UAE, and several other Arab countries have severed diplomatic ties with Qatar, with some closing their borders or restricting their airspace, too. The diplomatic crisis is a response to Qatar’s financial support for Islamic extremist terrorists, according to Saudi Arabia — something the U.S. has expressed concern about as well, but Qatar has denied.Nauert said Tillerson remains engaged on the issue — having more than 20 phone calls and meetings since the diplomatic crisis began, including three phone calls and two in-person meetings with the Saudi foreign minister, three calls with the Qatari foreign minister and three calls with the Qatari emir. She reiterated that the U.S. wants all sides to constructively resolve the dispute and focus on fighting terrorism instead.Despite that engagement, however, she also said that the U.S. believes the issue can be resolved peacefully without having to step in to mediate — even after the State Department said Friday that Tillerson canceled his attendance at the Organization of American States summit in Mexico this week in order to mediate.When challenged on that, Nauert said Tillerson had one meeting in Washington Monday night on the issue, but wouldn’t say who it was with.The UAE has said the blockade could last for years unless Qatar meets a list of demands to be revealed shortly. For its part, Qatar says it will not negotiate until the travel and trade boycotts are removed.Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.Powered by WPeMatico Relatedlast_img read more

Scoreboard roundup — 10/21/17

first_imgiStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) — Here are the latest scores and winners:AMERICAN LEAGUEHouston 4, N.Y. Yankees 0NATIONAL BASKETBALL ASSOCIATIONToronto 128, Philadelphia 94Orlando 114, Cleveland 93San Antonio 87, Chicago 77Miami 112, Indiana 108Detroit 111, N.Y. Knicks 107Houston 107, Dallas 91Memphis 111, Golden State 101Milwaukee 113, Portland 110Denver 96, Sacramento 79Utah 96, Oklahoma City 87L.A. Clippers 130, Phoenix 88NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUEN.Y. Rangers 4, Nashville 2Philadelphia 2, Edmonton 1Tampa Bay 7, Pittsburgh 1N.Y. Islanders 5, San Jose 3OT Buffalo 5, Boston 4Ottawa 6, Toronto 3L.A. Kings 6, Columbus 4Florida 4, Washington 1Dallas 4, Carolina 3Chicago 4, Arizona 2Minnesota 4, Calgary 2OT Vegas 3, St. Louis 2TOP 25 COLLEGE FOOTBALL(1) Alabama 45, Tennessee 7(2) Penn St. 42, (19) Michigan 13(4) TCU 43, Kansas 0(5) Wisconsin 38, Maryland 13(8) Miami 27, Syracuse 19(9) Oklahoma 42, Kansas St. 35OT (10) Oklahoma St. 13, Texas 10(13) Notre Dame 49, (11) Southern Cal 14(14) Virginia Tech 59, North Carolina 7(15) Washington St. 28, Colorado 0(17) South Florida 34, Tulane 28(18) Michigan St. 17, Indiana 9(20) UCF 31, Navy 21(21) Auburn 52, Arkansas 20(23) West Virginia 38, Baylor 36(24) LSU 40, Mississippi 24Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.Powered by WPeMatico Relatedlast_img read more

Real Madrid and Barcelona fans clash at Barajas airport after Barça clinch La Liga title

first_img Upd. at 14:13 CEST 18/05/2015 A group of violent Real Madrid fans made their way to the airport in a bid to coincide with the Barça fans who were due to fly home after watching their side beat Atletico Madrid at the Vicente Calderon.  Sport EN Unfortunately Barcelona’s title triumph in Madrid on Sunday was clouded with fighting at Barajas airport later that same night.  What followed was some light scuffling and some unsavoury scenes: It seems that the success of Luis Enrique’s team had not gone down well and they wanted to take it out on the Barça fans.  Lionel Messi struck the only goal of the game to elevate Barça to their 23rd La Liga crown — their 13th in the last 25 years. last_img